Census 2020 Outreach Resources
This page provides many education and outreach efforts resources to assist in your efforts to ensure a fair and accurate count of all residents of the County of San Mateo. Check back frequently and/or sign up for updates to continue to find out about any updated information.
San Mateo County-Created Resources
FACTSHEETS, Flyers, Postcards
Census 2020: What You Need to Know (Monolingual; 2 sided)
Provides an overview of Census 2020 (what, why, how, who, when).
Census 2020: What You Need to Know (Bilingual; 2 sided)
Provides a quick overview of Census 2020 in English + another language.
Census 101: Recorded Presentation (13 minutes)
Video presentation including an overview of Census 2020, what's at stake, and how we are ensuring a complete count in San Mateo County.
Census 2020: Community Presentation
Slide presentation providing Census 2020 overview for community residents.
Census 2020: Partner Presentation
Slide presentation encouraging stakeholders to join Census 2020 complete count efforts.
ICMA San Mateo County Presentation: Census 2020 - Building Civic Engagement and Community Networks
Census 2020: Your Voice Counts (430 words)
Explains why Census 2020 is important and encourages residents to participate.
Census 2020: What's at Stake (450 words)
Explains what at stake for San Mateo County residents in Census 2020.
VIDEOS + PSA
Census 2020: The Faces of San Mateo County
Two videos featuring employees from San Mateo County showing their commitment to Census 2020 and why it is so important to our community to complete the survey.
San Mateo County Resident Testimonials about Census 2020
Brief videos (~60 seconds) from county residents on the importance of participating in Census 2020.
- Antonio Ruiz, Multicultural Institute (Spanish)
- Dr. Charito Sico, Kaiser Permanente, Pediatrican
- Henrietta Burroughs: East Palo Alto Today, Founder and Editor
- Lilian Chang: San Mateo County Youth Commission
- Shelley Cheng: Census Ambassador / San Mateo Adult School (Mandarin Chinese)
- Ben Renda, San Mateo County Veteran Commission
San Mateo County has not created any stand-alone posters yet, however we are co-branded on the following posters:
US Census Bureau Posters
- Posters About Confidentiality: Option 1, Option 2
- Posters About Young Children: Option 1, Option 2
- Posters About Education: Option 1, Option 2
- Posters About Healthcare: Option 1, Option 2
- Posters About LGBTQ: Option 1, Option 2
Bay Area Counts 2020 (United Way)
- Be Counted Poster: English
Census 2020 Countdown Widget
Can be placed on a website as a reminder for Census 2020, and links back to the San Mateo County Census 2020 Webpage.
Resources Created by Other Organizations
Bay Area Counts 2020 (United Way) Materials
The United Way Bay Area's census campaign, known as Bay Area Counts 2020, has co-branded the following materials:
- Flyer (English, Chinese-Simplified, Spanish, Tagalog)
- Half Page Horizontal (English, Chinese-Simplified, Spanish, Tagalog)
- Half Page Vertical (English, Chinese-Simplified, Spanish, Tagalog)
- Postcard (English, Chinese-Simplified, Spanish, Tagalog)
- Poster (English, Chinese-Simplified, Spanish, Tagalog)
Bay Area Counts 2020 also created a variety of social-media ready images in .jpg format, in multiple languages, which are NOT co-branded. Images have been created to fit: as an email banner, or as a post for facebook, instagram or LinkedIn. The following languages are available:
NALEO Educational Fund
NALEO Educational Fund is the nation's leading non-profit, non-partisan organization that facilitates full Latino participation in the Americal political process. Below is a small sampling of their materials, you may go directly to their website to view the entire list of materials by clicking here.
- What is the Census? Census 101: English, Spanish
- The Invisible Ones: How Latino Children are Left Out of our Nation's Census Count: English Full Report, English Summary
- How the US Census Works: English Video
United States Census Bureau
The United States Census Bureau offers materials about the 2020 Census that can be shared with the public and to help partners effectively engage their communities. Below is a small sampling of their materials, you may go directly to their website to view the entire list of materials by clicking here.
Outreach Materials Created for Specific Audiences:
- Black / African American: Fact Sheet, Half-Page Handout
- Faith Communities: Why Your Faith Community Should Become a 2020 Census Official Partner: English, Spanish
Public Service Announcements (PSAs / Videos):
Guides + Toolkits
San Mateo County-Created
- Messaging Guide
- Communications Calendar: this Google Document includes all the social media posts + themes for each week, key observances, talking points, the call to action for that week, and links to resources.
- Social Media Guide (now incorporated into Commication Calendar - see above)
- Outreach Toolkit